Geography is the study of Earth’s landscapes, peoples, places and environments. It is, quite simply, about the world in which we live.’ Royal Geographical Society.
Welcome to the Geography Department at Stanchester Academy. The world we live in is beautiful, intricate and dynamic. Geography allows us to gain an insight into how humans interact with the natural environment. Geography helps us to understand current affairs and their complexity. Everything is connected to Geography – whether it is our favourite foods, the clothes we wear, our holiday destination or even just the place we live in. We hope to inspire in our students a love for the world and help them understand their responsibility as a global citizen.
Studying Geography at Stanchester Academy enables our students to recognise:-
- The places and communities in which we live and work
- Our natural environments and the pressures that they face
- The interdependence of the world and our communities within it
- The importance of location in our personal and business decision-making
- Ways the world is changing
- How as an individual and as a society we contribute to these changes
- The choices that exist in managing our world for the future
Fieldwork forms an important part of our course.
Geography is a popular subject at GCSE. We study the syllabus for AQA GCSE Geography B; this focuses on geographical issues and challenges and how these affect our world. There are two examinations at the end of the course.
In Year 10 we study:- Managing Coastal Environments and Managing urban environments. Plus we complete our controlled assessments one fieldwork based and one issue investigation. In Year 11 we study:- Investigating Global Tourism and Hostile World (volcanoes, earthquakes, wildfires and hurricanes).
To support your child in their Geographical studies please encourage them to read the newspaper; watch tv news and programmes relating to the natural world such as Coast and Natural World.